Website Orillia Christian Centre o/a The Lighthouse
The Facilities Operator is responsible for leading and directing the physical performance of the facilities operations. This involves leading projects and contracts, safety initiatives and infrastructure maintenance. It also supports community users, risk management for staff and public and managing the budget with the Managers. This position will have specific facility-related operations responsibilities specific to Community Services and Supportive Housing buildings. The Facilities Operator reports to the The Community Services Manager & Supportive Housing Manager.
Able to affirm to the vision, mission and beliefs of The Lighthouse by demonstrating
commitment to our organization’s values of flexibility, adaptability, compassion and dignity with sensitivity to the issues related to poverty, homelessness, mental illness, addictions and developmental disabilities with a commitment to a discrimination-free environment.
Duties, Responsibilities and Authorities
Facility Operation and Maintenance – 50%
a) Provide quality Lighthouse facilities, positive participant experiences and safety by managing the day-to-day operations.
b) Ensure facility and physical facilities equipment is maintained in efficient operational order and ready for community, staff and volunteers use, in accordance with all legislation, codes and standards.
c) Monitor, evaluate and troubleshoot the operation of all equipment and operating systems including control systems, recommending replacement or dispositions to the appropriate supervisor.
d) Respond appropriately and report to the appropriate supervisor any major maintenance and repair issues.
e) Identify opportunities to maximize efficiencies and resources by reviewing, monitoring and making recommendations to change facility operation practices, equipment, mechanical systems and fleet to ensure they are properly maintained and in good working order.
f) Operate, and conduct regular inspection of all equipment, mechanical systems and tools and ensure they are in good working order.
g) Perform general and preventative maintenance of a significant nature or coordinating such work by contracted service providers.
h) Engage with external contractors, government health & safety officials, other department staff and suppliers for major repairs, inspections, certifications as per legislations and codes.
i) Act as the lead in delivery of facility preventative maintenance systems. Monitors the operation of building components and adjusts mechanical and electrical systems for the most efficient use in order to minimize where practical, operating costs.
j) As required, act as project manager and provide estimates on assigned projects, interprets construction plans and specifications and ensures completion of tasks.
k) Identity opportunities for maximizing facility usage by collaborating with inter departmental staff.
Janitorial and Grounds 20%
a) Ensure that all aspects of the grounds and outdoor areas are well-maintained and safe.
b) Plan, organize, coordinate and evaluate janitorial and grounds keeping activities, including lawn, garden, garbage and snow removal maintenance.
c) Perform maintenance and minor repairs (replacing broken switches, fixing door handles, minor leaks etc.), and work with subcontractors for larger, complex repairs.
d) Utilize and train individuals to use standardized cleaning agents.
e) Perform and manage necessary indoor cleaning activities, such as dusting, mopping, trash removal, etc.
f) Monitor and manage janitorial supplies.
Supervisor & Leadership 20%
g) Model expected behaviors related to work standards, customer services, respectful workplace and time management. Able to affirm to the vision, mission and beliefs of The Lighthouse
h) Participate in the recruitment, coaching, and training of staff. Supporting employees development by identifying training and orientation needs in the operation and leading of the facility.
i) Completes regular reviews and work planning for staff and makes recommendations to supervisors for training, coaching and progressive discipline.
j) Actively contributes to and effectively supports The Lighthouse needs by sharing expertise and participating in required meetings and collaborating with leadership.
k) Participates in On Call responsibilities and effectively supports the facility in the event of an emergency.
l) Completes schedules and effective planning to coordinate tasks to provide work direction to facility operations staff, volunteers and contractors.
Administration & Financial: 10%
a) Contributes to development, implementation, monitoring and reporting of appropriate facility budgets.
b) Prepares preventative maintenance requests and inputs completed work for information as directed.
● Knowledge of Occupational Health & Safety practices
● Knowledge and understanding of applicable Building Code requirements and Fire Codes
● Knowledge of building maintenance, electrical & plumbing systems
● Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of various tools and equipment
● Ability to perform a broad range of maintenance repairs
● Able to handle heavy loads (50lb+) and repetitive tasks
● Excellent organizational skills
● Required to organize and schedule your daily workload, while being sensitive to time constraints and resource available
● Ability to work outdoors/indoors/at heights and small spaces
● Ability to work independently and as a team
● Strong analytical, critical thinking, decision making and problem-solving attributes
● High standard of integrity, judgment and confidentiality
● Demonstrate ability to multitask, prioritize, organize, meet deadlines, maintain both buildings
● Ability to liaison with outside service providers to provide services required
● Experience in a building trade would be an asset
● Training in nonviolent crisis intervention and/or mental health first or relevant equivalent is an asset and may be offered during the time of your employment.
● Secondary school diploma discipline, or an acceptable combination of education and experience
● Three years’ experience in building maintenance or similar
● WHMIS Certification and CPR/First Aid Certification
● Proficiency in the use of tools and equipment required to perform the functions of the position
● Must be legally eligible to work in Canada
● A valid Ontario driver’s license, liability insurance and access to vehicle an asset.
● A satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Criminal Records check is required.
Hours of Work
● Full time Salary $42,000-$44,000/year
● Primarily Monday- Friday 8-4 with some large project based or emergency flexibility.
How to apply: