Camp Kawartha is an award-winning organization whose mission is to foster positive stewards of our natural and human communities. We are recognized for our work in promoting environmental education and sustainability. The Camp Leader (Environmental Education Assistant) will be responsible for assisting in the creation and delivery of innovative environmental and stewardship related programming for Camp Kawartha.
The Environment Centre Office Assistant will be responsible for assisting in the administration of Camp Kawartha Environment Centre’s summer camp programs.
Contract: June 20th – August 18th, 2019 (9 weeks).
Location: Camp Kawartha Environment Centre, Peterborough
Wage: $16 per hour for 30 hours per week.
This position is funded through Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ). To be eligible,
applicants must be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment.
• To assist in the development of engaging/inspiring environmental programs throughout summer camp that is consistent with our environmental framework.
• To create unique programming resources and exhibits.
• To find creative ways of highlighting the sustainable features at the Camp Kawartha Environment Centre. To create more opportunities for sustainable education.
• Expand nature awareness and nature connection opportunities: Expand Nature Playscapes elements.
• To provide a full report of activities accomplished over the summer to the Manager.
• To update the Environmental Programming resource manual to include any new programing and exhibit ideas.
• Maintain and expand our native gardens (pollinator etc.) and tree nursery.
• Seek out interesting nature stories and special spots that connect children to the story of the land Camp Kawartha Environment Centre is situated on.
Scope of Position
• The Environmental Education Assistant works under the supervision of the Environment Centre Manager and assists in developing environmental and stewardship programming/resources for Camp Kawartha’s environmental camps.
• Reports to and works under the guidance of the Environment Centre Manager. Receives strategic direction from the Executive Director.
• Works collaboratively and in a positive manner with all sectors of environmental programming.
• Assists with the implementation of environmental and stewardship programming, resources and exhibits.
• Establishes open, thoughtful communication and general positive relationships staff, parents and colleagues.
• Initiates dialogue and facilitates clear communication with Environment Centre Manager and Team.
• Works within administrative policies and procedures as established by the Environment Centre Manager and Executive Director.
Impact of Error:
• Poor judgment could result in detrimental physical safety of visiting clients and as well as cause harm to reputation of the camp. Poor communication could lead to misunderstanding between staff and problems in staff relationships and ultimately a decline in programming standards.
Qualifications and Abilities:
• Experience in teaching environmental, outdoor, summer camp programming
• A strong interest is stewardship and environmentalism
• Demonstrated leadership skills
• Creative and dynamic person. Able to create programs/resources that inspire campers to become positive stewards.
• Proven ability to organize, deal with logistics and complexity
• Strong knowledge of environmental and outdoor education in particular: natural history, leadership and nature connection.
• Exhibits a high degree of initiative and self-direction; good analytical, organizational and high level of oral and written communication skills
• Computer skills including word processing and data management
• Ability to work with tact and discretion, good public relation skills, good project management skills
• Ability to work independently.
• University or College Degree in progress in a relevant field.
Credentials (certificates, licences, courses, etc.):
• Must have clear Criminal Record/Vulnerable Sector check to work near children
• Standard First Aid & CPR
Work Conditions & Physical Capabilities
• Work has a high public profile and extensive camper contact; and is subject to unyielding deadlines and interruptions.
How to apply:
Via Agilec - firstname.lastname@example.org