Shelter Support Workers will work in collaboration with volunteers, the Intake staff, and under the direction and supervision of the Program Coordinator and/or Executive Director to complete tasks required for the seamless functioning of various organization programs.
Shelter Support Workers will work a combination of day and night shifts, on a rotating basis, including weekends.
Duties include (but are not limited to)
Site and Program Supervision:
• Oversee operations of Daytime Drop-In and Emergency Overnight Shelter programming, during shift hours.
• Complete participant screening and sign-in upon entry.
• Perform health screening of all participants who wish to enter the space for service.
• Uphold corporate Policy and Procedures and hold participants accountable to the corporate Participant Expectations.
• Model good hand hygiene, appropriate social distancing, and use of PPE.
• Promote expectations of company Health & Safety protocols.
• Interact with participants and assist with participant needs.
• Observe participants regularly and document any concerns in shift Notes.
• Monitoring those identified as ‘high risk’ for signs of mental distress, overdose, conflict, etc.
• Manage use of resources associated with programming.
• Assist in meal-time activities and ensure proper food safety protocols.
• This may include preparing and offering meals, snacks, and warm drinks, etc.
Appropriate and thorough communication.
• Keep clear and concise records of important or relevant participant interactions and program happenings on designated daily reporting documentation.
• Communicate clearly with staff and/or volunteers when on shift, and during shift exchanges.
• Utilize the support and supervision of the on-call Manager and Executive Director, as necessary.
Participate in fostering a housing-focused atmosphere.
• Act in a supportive role in housing-focused objectives of programming.
• This could include looking for and posting new/recent housing listing, posting approved housing-related resources for participants, assisting participants utilizing the resource centre, or any other housing-related activities as directed by case management staff.
• Engage with participants in passive housing-focused conversations, when interacting during regular shift duties.
Carry out daily cleaning routine and protocols.
• Perform routine and regular cleaning duties, including disinfecting high touch surfaces and other regularly used areas.
• Carry out laundry duties daily.
• Ensuring that garbage and recycling are changed whenever necessary.
• Diploma or degree in social/human services related field and/or relevant education and experience.
o Willing to consider individuals in progress of obtaining the same.
• Lived experience of homelessness and/or experience working with homeless and/or marginalized individuals is an asset.
• Demonstrated competence to work with challenging behaviour and stressful situations and possess effective conflict and crisis management skills.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and ability to set effective personal boundaries with both clients and co-workers.
• Proven ability to problem-solve, multi-task and work both independently and as an effective team member.
• NVCI and Level C First Aid and CPR, including working knowledge of AED an asset.
• Vulnerable Sector Screening (Police Check)
• Able and willing to work overnight (awake).
How to apply:
Via Agilec - email@example.com