Website St. Leonard's Society of Peterborough
St. Leonard’s Society of Peterborough provides residential and community services to federally sentenced men aged 18 and over.
The philosophy of Edmison House is to demonstrate to each resident that the community cares and is concerned about his release. We understand that reintegration can be difficult and do our best to assist our residents in every aspect of their release.
The St. Leonard’s Society of Peterborough operates Edmison House, a federal halfway home for men. Edmison House opened in January of 1977. We have specialized in the area of working with Lifers and have a rich history of developing work skills and training programs. There is a total of twenty-four beds and one Unescorted Temporary Absence.
The Residential Support Worker will work closely with residential staff and community resources as part of a multidisciplinary team. You will provide security and support, while ensuring resident and building security.
- To supervise the residents’ Parole Board of Canada conditions of release and liaise with the National Monitoring Center, local CSC Parole Office and Peterborough Police in this regard.
- Responsible for the direct security, support and supervision of all Edmison House residents.
- To assist in the individual case plan for all residents in cooperation with casework staff.
- Being aware of, supporting and reinforcing client risk management plans and strategies.
- Follow the established routines, policies and procedures of the agency.
- To conduct resident visual checks at a frequency of every two hours and record as per contractual obligations.
- To monitor resident curfews, pass requirements and report any lateness to the agency duty officer and record in the duty log.
- To record in the duty log, the names and badge numbers of police officers in contact with the agency regarding CRF residents.
- To document any unusual resident movement or activity during each shift in the Duty Log and write incident reports when required.
- To ensure the residence is at all times in compliance with current Fire, Health and Building Code requirements.
- To familiarize yourself with the Employee Code of Conduct noted in the agency Policy and Procedures Manual.
- To participate in maintaining the general cleanliness of the facility.
- To discuss and maintenance problems with the Property Manager in respect to any of the buildings owned by the agency. Make sure that supplies for the residence and maintained.
- To conduct regular and exterior perimeter inspections of the CRF.
- Reinforcement of the rules/regulations of the facility and adhere to those rules and regulations. Work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, applicable regulations and all organizational health and safety requirements and procedures to ensure the health and safety of residents, staff, volunteers and students.
Education and Knowledge Requirements
- A certificate/diploma in Corrections/Justice Services and/or Law and Security credentials or at least two years’ relevant experience is preferred.
- Proficient in the following computer applications: Microsoft Word.
- Valid First Aid Certificate with CPR/AED Level C is an asset.
- Safe Food Handler’s is an asset.
- Ability to obtain Reliability Status security clearance.
- Ability to work autonomously as well as cooperatively within a team environment.
- The ability to assist clients in identifying and solving practical problems involved in their successful integration into the community.
- The ability to understand the use of authority in supervision and to intervene effectively in crisis situations.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multi-task while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- The ability to demonstrate cultural competence and respect for diversity.
- Skills in communicating effectively both orally and in writing.
NOTE: Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. Please accept our utmost appreciation for your interest. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs, and not on race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, provincial and local laws.
How to apply:
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com