Website Tay Township
Reporting to the Manager of Parks, Recreation and Facility Services, or their designate, the Tay Community Rink Attendant fulfills the operational duties of the Tay Community (refrigerated) Rink (located at 560 Calvert Street, Port McNicoll) including the daily program schedule and/or special events, operation of equipment and maintenance functions pursuant to the Municipality’s policies and procedures.
1. Operates and maintains all equipment and machinery safely and properly at the Tay Community Rink related to the buildings, ice surface, janitorial services and related operational tasks.
2. Responsible for required ice making, ice maintenance and ice resurfacing operations.
3. Assists with the setup, execution, and clean-up of Tay Community Rink functions and/or programs.
4. Provides attentive and quality customer service to individuals using the Tay Community Rink.
5. Maintains accurate written and electronic records and logs.
6. Models the Township’s values by learning and being comfortable with new ideas that can deliver greater benefit for Tay community members.
7. Maintains a high degree of confidentiality and security of information. Where information is developed prior to Staff/Public release, ensures confidentiality of information produced for Council and other sensitive information consumers.
8. Ensures compliance of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable legislation by following the Township’s Health and Safety program, procedures and best practices.
9. Performs other related tasks and functions as assigned that are required or dictated by the Municipality’s needs relative to the nature of the position. The responsibilities listed above are not intended to be an inclusive list; the omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Education and Training
- OSSD (Ontario Secondary School Diploma) or equivalent.
- Standard First Aid and CPR certification in good standing.
- Class ‘G’ Driver’s Licence in good standing.
- Experience in refrigerated ice rinks, parks, recreation and facility or related services considered an asset.
- Supervisory experience considered an asset.
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Skills and Competencies
- Attention to detail and mental and visual concentration and alertness to ensure the safety of others.
- Ability to work independently in a safe, effective and efficient manner.
- Ability to safely operate varying pieces of equipment (e.g. Zamboni).
- Written and verbal communications skills, and public relations and technical skills.
- Interpersonal and public relations skills to deal courteously and effectively with all levels of staff and government, elected officials, and the general public with the ability to exercise tact, diplomacy and good judgement at all times.
- Flexible and able to deal with multiple priorities as assigned.
- Demonstrated team building and relationship management skills and a proven ability to work with stakeholders; establishes and maintains effective working relationships with the Public, Staff and the Leadership Team.
- Resolves conflicts without major disruption to workflows or interpersonal relationships.
Effort, Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Normal workweek – generally 40 hours; subject to variable hours of work to meet the needs of the ice surface.
- Performance of duties normally takes place in both indoor and outdoor environments. Outdoor environments are subject to severe inclement weather. Working environment contains some risks or discomforts associated with the operation of heavy equipment which requires additional safety precautions. May be exposed to wet, cold and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals. Appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) must be worn when working with or around hazardous chemicals and/or equipment.
- Required to wear/use various personal protective equipment (PPE) as assigned including, but not limited to: Canadian Standards Association (CSA) approved safety boots, cut resistant pants/chaps, chemical resistant apron, gloves, fall arrest equipment, respirator, safety eyewear, eye goggles, face shield, face masks, hearing protection and hard hat. May be required to have limited facial hair to accommodate PPE.
- Maintenance of functional physical condition required to conduct tasks, traverse work sites/environments, occasionally lift heavy objects, and to use tools and equipment that require a high degree of manual dexterity.
- Position involves physical efforts of lifting, pulling, climbing, reaching, operating equipment, sitting, standing, walking, crouching, working alone, and occasional computer/office equipment use.
- Position requires attentive listening and both mental and visual concentration with close attention to detail, including reading, analyzing, writing, and providing information.
- Position requires confidentiality in some aspects of the work.
Qualified and interested applicants are encouraged to do the following:
- Reference the complete position description including comprehensive qualifications available on the Tay Township website – www.tay.ca/jobs
- Submit a cover letter and resume via e-mail by 4:00 p.m., Thursday, September 28, 2023, to the attention of Human Resources (HR@Tay.ca)
- Please reference ‘TCRA’ at the start of the email subject line.
- Please indicate how you heard about this opportunity within your application.
We kindly thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected under the authority of the Municipal Act and in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act will only be used for candidate selection. Tay Township is an equal-opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessible Canada Act, 2019 and all applicable provincial accessibility standards, upon request, accommodation will be provided by the Tay Township throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process for applicants with disabilities.
How to apply:
Email email@example.com and reference 'TCRA' in email subject line