Website Extend-A-Family Waterloo Region
- Secondary school diploma OR some secondary school with related experience.
- Minimum eighteen years of age.
- Valid G2 license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be reliable and dependable, punctual and committed.
- Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team.
- Demonstrate threshold and core competencies outlined for DSP’s.
As a Direct Support Person you are one of the key front line support providers who engage in establishing a positive relationship with the people we support. You are guided by compassion, care and responsibility. You readily display these attitudes and ideals in your relationship with the person being supported and in your representation of EAFWR as an organization wherever you are.
Hours and Pay:
A single contract can be anywhere from 2 to 10 hours per week with an opportunity to take on multiple contracts and increase your hours.
While there is flexibility to fit around your schedule, most of the opportunities currently available require evening and/or weekend work
The pay rate is $18.65/hr + 6% vacation pay. Expenses such as care mileage are covered.
Responsibilities and Functions:
Reporting to the person being supported, their family, and a designated EAFWR Support Coordinator, the contract support person will:
Provide Support to the Person and Family:
- Plan and implement supports/activities designed to assist the person being supported in achieving goals outlined in the funding contract.
- Establish and maintain a respectful relationship with the person being supported.
- Engage in open and honest communication with the person being supported, their family and the designated Support Coordinator.
- Be aware of and adhere to EAFWR’s Health and Safety Policies and Procedures and maintain a safe work environment for yourself and the person being supported.
- Maintain awareness of and adherence to EAFWR procedures dealing with serious and/or unusual incidents.
Provide Support to EAFWR Administration by:
- Maintain awareness of and adherence to relevant guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Promote the growth of an organizational culture that is both inclusive and anti-oppressive.
- Participate in training and staff development as requested/required.
- Provide documents relevant to the position as requested by EAFWR.
The following questions will guide the work of every Direct Support Person who provides support.
Flexibility – How can I provide what the situation needs?
Self Control – How do I demonstrate poise under pressure?
Self Development – How do I continually improve my skills and knowledge?
Service Orientation – How have I given the best service with the best options that I can?
Values and Ethics – How am I an authentic ambassador of my organization’s values and principles?
Advocating for Others – How can I get others to support this point of view?
Collaboration – How do I create harmony and progress within my role with others?
Creative Problem Solving/Decision Making – How can I/we think about or do this differently?
Fostering Independence in Others – How can I help others to embrace this as their own?
Initiative – How do I positively maintain or enhance this situation?
Interpersonal Relations and Respect – How would I want to be treated in this situation?
Resilience – How am I staying optimistic about our goals?
Applicants will be required to provide proof of approved Covid-19 vaccination and commit to maintaining vaccination status in good standing as a condition of employment. Alternatively, new staff may adequately demonstrate the need for accommodation based on recognized human rights grounds.
Extend-A-Family is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to ensuring that people with disabilities have the same opportunity of access to employment.
How to apply:
Apply on our website at https://eafwr.on.ca/hiring/?p=joboL6NZfwn