Stepping Stone is a community-based agency that believes in the Housing First philosophies and practices. We strive to improve the quality of life for people who are struggling with chronic homelessness, significant mental health issues and substance misuse. We offer this by providing supportive, affordable housing to our participants with individualized, participant-driven support plans. The Stepping Stone team collaborates with community services within Guelph-Wellington to help support these plans and to offer our participants wrap-around supports as needed.
Reporting to the Management Team, the Residential Support Worker is a reliable, emotionally intelligent, responsible, energetic individual who can work as a team to support the individuals residing at our Permanent Supportive Housing site.
• Passion to support individuals and groups living on a low income who have support needs within a supportive environment.
• Experience in case planning/management with individuals and assisting them in developing life skills.
• Respectful, supportive, and engaging approach to persons with physical disabilities, addictions, mental health and other life challenges
• Experience supporting group activities.
• Must have exemplary emotional intelligence, communication, conflict management, organization, and problem-solving skills.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office and Google Suite (Google Docs, Sheets, etc.)
• Ability to work professionally as a team member with staff, participants, and community members.
• Experience working within a non-profit and/or social services environment preferred.
• Ability to work sensitively and effectively with people from various abilities, life situations and cultural backgrounds.
• Current First Aid / CPR certification, Naloxone training and Vulnerable Sector Police Check or willingness to obtain at hiring.
• Two-year post-secondary education in a related field of study (i.e., social services, social work, addictions, mental health, community development etc.) or relevant work experience
• Provide practical support to residents with activities of daily living such as cooking, cleaning, proper hygiene, medication management, and decision-making.
• Work to create a safe, supportive, and purpose driven atmosphere and promote cooperation between residents.
• Expertly de-escalate conflict and manage behavioural concerns to ensure a safe environment for all staff and participant.
• Engage in rapport building with individuals while doing tasks such as perimeter checks and unit checks.
• Assist in locating appropriate housing, treatment, educational, or employment opportunities for them as well as assisting those with legal or probationary issues.
• Respond to participants in crisis, collaborating with the team to ensure the situation is deescalated and a safe environment is maintained.
• Collaborate with other service agencies and healthcare professionals to assist the participants and meet their everyday needs and long-term health and wellness goals.
• Responsible for facilitating community inclusion activities.
• Core Team Responsibilities such as documenting relevant information according to agency and program requirements including shift logs, incident reports and shelter plan update.
• Participate in weekly Stepping Stone meetings as required (includes participant support meetings and staff meetings)
• Responsible for working in a safe, healthy manner and ensuring safety of the community and participants by conducting building checks and maintaining health and safety standards.
• Flexibility to work a variety of shifts including days, evenings, nights and weekends.
• Work with clients and staff directly on the PSH site
• Exposed to stress due to dealing with clients in difficult personal circumstances.
Start Date: As soon as possible
Posted: February 7th,2023
Please note this job is posted by Agilec on behalf of an employer. This employer is currently using Agilec’s recruiting services. Agilec is not a temporary nor staffing agency, we are an Employment Ontario Service Provider that offers no cost services to those in the community. Agilec welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment process. We thank you for your interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
How to apply:
Via Agilec - firstname.lastname@example.org