Website VON Canada
Employment Status: Permanent, Part Time (0.2 FTE)
Program Name: Overnight Stay Care Program
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 15
Work Schedule: Days, Every other Weekend 08:00 AM-04:00 PM
On Call: No
The Recreation Therapist is responsible for all processes involved in the on-boarding of new clients to the Adult Day Program. The Recreation Therapist maintains and supports the team care model approach, consistent with VON mission statement, program operational goals and individual participant goals.
- Ensures the safety and security of participants and maintains a clean, tidy program environment.
- Receives referrals in order to initiate Intake process.
- Builds trusting relationships with clients and caregivers.
- Develops and maintains individual program plans for clients.
- Guides and directs front line staff in implementing the planned social and recreational activities as appropriate.
- In collaboration with the Adult Day Program team, ensures expected outcomes of care are reflected in client care planning through interdisciplinary and client/family collaboration.
- Organizes and directs staff to provide programs that meet the physical, social, emotional, spiritual and intellectual needs of the clients and their overall well-being.
- Acts as a role model for staff by training, orientating and mentoring along with supporting volunteers demonstrating knowledge and expertise as well as ongoing evidence of professional development.
- Completes required documentation as per program policy set out by the Care & Service manager.
- Provides assistance with Adult Day Learning (ADL) activity including transfers and incontinence care when required.
- Other duties as assigned by the Manager, Home and Community Care.
External and Internal Relationships:
- Collaborates with Manager- Home and Community Care, Home Support & Adult Day Program.
- Communicates with community partners as it pertains to client care.
Education, Designations and Experience:
- Degree or Diploma in Recreation Therapy.
- Additional Diploma in Gerontology and or experience working with older adults, persons with Alzheimer Disease or Dementia an asset.
- Current First Aid/CPR Certification and Food Handler’s required.
- Certification in Gentle Persuasive Approach and Montessori Methods an asset.
- Strong computer skills including use of MS Word, Excel and Procura software.
- Strong assessment and interview skills, knowledge of Inter RAI Assessment Tools.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in planning and implementing a therapeutic program for persons with cognitive and physical challenges.
- Experience in managing staff and volunteers preferred
- Ability to problem solve, multi task and prioritize.
- Demonstrated ability to foster teamwork and a commitment to excellence in the provision of client care.
- Demonstrated ability to organize work, set objectives and establish priorities. Manage time and resources, implements activities to promote cooperation among the interdisciplinary team and collaborates across disciplines.
- Must have personal vehicle and possess both a current driver’s license and proof of vehicle insurance
- Willingness to travel regularly during the day to support sites and attend meetings.
- Current criminal background check will be requested, including a vulnerable sector screen.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
VON Canada is committed to embracing and celebrating diversity, equity, and inclusion (EDI) as fundamental to living out our values of Respect, Compassion, and Excellence in all that we do.
How to apply:
Please apply online: https://jobs.jobvite.com/von/job/oxWcrfwQ